Don't Breathe (2016)

5:36 PM

This house looked like an easy target. Until they found what was inside.
 Don't Breathe is directed by Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead) and stars Jane Levy (Evil Dead, Suburgatory), Dylan Minnette (Prisoners, Goosebumps), Daniel Zovatto (It Follows, Fear the Walking Dead) and Stephen Lang (Avatar, Conan the Barbarian). "Hoping to walk away with a massive fortune, a trio of thieves break into the house of a blind man who isn't as helpless as he seems". Horror films are of a much better quality in 2016, does Don't Breathe stay consistent to the genre?

So I'm going to begin this review my stating that Don't Breathe was the 65th film I saw in cinemas in 2016. I would also like to state that Sicario was the 65th film I saw in 2015 and it ended up being my favourite film of that year - the number 65 must be lucky when it comes to films because Don't Breathe is extremely close to being perfect - it is an outstanding film that was effective, full of tension, had me on the edge of my seat and the best horror film of 2016. I did not expect to like this film as much as I did but it was absolutely fantastic! It has left me breathless!

The performances are outstanding in this film. I haven't seen Jane Levy on screen before but she definitely made an impression with Don't Breathe. Levy was fantastic - even though her character's intentions were not likeable, she made her relatable and somewhat likeable. Without spoiling the film, a lot is required from Levy as an actress with this film and she does a terrific job - if I was a member of the academy, I would definitely be thinking of her when it comes to awards season. Another amazing performance comes from Stephen Lang who really does an excellent job - at first, his character could come across as quite likeable but as the film develops, Lang helps to make the character even less likeable. Lang was wickedly evil and does a really good job. I also thought he did a really convincing job at playing a blind character. Dylan Minnette is probably the only actor I recognised and he does a great job. Daniel Zovatto is probably the least likeable out of the trio but he isn't in the film too long - however, Zovatto still does a very good job. The only performance I wasn't too keen on came from an actress who comes in towards the end of the film - she literally has no lines but there was something about her that felt out of place compared to the rest of the stellar cast.

I wouldn't say that Don't Breathe is your typical horror film - it does cross into thriller territory. However, this film is truly horrifying - there are few but effective jump scares and just all of the themes help to make this film incredibly scary. The tension builds very well throughout the film - the scenario gets worse and worse and you cannot guess where the film is going to go. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole film - Don't Breathe is a thrill ride! SPOILERS - I also thought the twist was very creepy but extremely effective - you would not see it coming but it does make sense. When the blind man's daughter's murderer is killed and Rocky is forced into giving birth to the blind man's child is one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever watched. When the blind mind is about to inject his 'liquid' into Rocky's 'private area'....I was covering my eyes with my hands - The Blind Man is a truly evil character. Don't Breathe is the perfect example of having haunting characters without any supernatural element. Don't Breathe is disturbing but very effective, and it is one of the best films I have seen all year.

I really like the story and concept of Don't Breathe - the idea that three burglars want to break into a blind mans house and then the blind man isn't as innocent as he seems...very clever! I also think the whole title is clever - of course 'Don't Breathe' is a fitting title as the characters are having to avoid a blind man and the only way he can sense them is through hearing so they must make sure they are silent. The story continues to unfold at a really quick pace with many twists and turns throughout - Don't Breathe is unpredictable! I also thought the script was incredibly intelligent - there are passive lines at the beginning that are then referenced at the end which shows they weren't that passive at all - some of these include the significance of the ladybird, the car boot and the shot of the dog at the start (and then again at the end). Speaking of the dog, that is one demon dog! The dog definitely added to the scares and it was believable as you would think that a blind man with a lot of money would have some sort of trained guard dog to protect him. I also thought Don't Breathe had some great social commentary - it shows how crazy the US gun laws are as a blind man has easily been able to get his hands on numerous guns. It also shows how the media can easily twist things - SPOILER - at the end of the film when a news report reveals that the blind man is alive, he is portrayed as a 'victim' despite the audience knowing he is a murderer, rapist and has kidnapped humans - this is so topical as currently the media is getting into trouble for not correctly labelling rapists and Don't Breathe perfectly captures that.

Don't Breathe might just be the best film of 2016. It definitely isn't for the faint-hearted as this is also one of the most disturbing films of 2016 - with horrible torture moments, effective jump scares and lots of tension, Don't Breathe really will have you on the edge of your seat. The acting is fantastic across the board - especially from Levy and Lang who are terrific! The story is pretty original and the concept is interesting and the way it is executed is also very good. Don't Breathe has some interesting and intelligent social commentary which adds another level. There are a few flaws but they are so minor that they can be easily forgiven. Like I said, Don't Breathe is that good it left me breathless.

89
/100

What did you think of DON'T BREATHE? What is your favourite horror film of 2016 so far? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments