The Edge of Seventeen (2016)

11:02 AM

You're Only Young Once...is it over yet?
🎄Blogmas: Day 4!🎄
 The Edge of Seventeen is the directorial debut from Kelly Fremon Craig (she also wrote it!). The film stars Hailee Steinfeld (Pitch Perfect 2, True Grit), Blake Jenner (Everybody Wants Some!!, Glee) and Woody Harrelson (The Hunger Games, Zombieland). "High-school life gets even more unbearable for Nadine when her best friend, Krista, starts dating her older brother" (IMDb, 2016). Directorial debuts are always risky but is The Edge of Seventeen on the edge of greatness?

It was an impromptu visit to the cinema to see The Edge of Seventeen - I had been wanting to see the film and it wasn't playing at my nearest cinema so I decided to have the afternoon out and went on a solo visit to see this film. I have to say, I am really pleased I did because I thoroughly enjoyed The Edge of Seventeen - it is definitely one of the better films I have seen this year and could possibly be one of my favourites. I think this will be the type of film to stand the test of time and could ultimately become a cult classic in the teen drama genre - I would put it up there with The DUFF, Mean Girls and Pitch Perfect even though it is completely different from all of those films. I think this film has someone for everyone - teens will be able to relate and adults will be able to be nostalgic and look back on their childhood as I believe this is one of the more realistic depictions of being a 17 year old. 

There is nothing weak about this film - everything is of a great quality. The performances are definitely no exception as they are very good. Not only does Hailee Steinfeld make great music (Love Myself is still my jam), she is also a brilliant actress. I think this role is perfect for her - it is relatively age appropriate but I just think Steinfeld is flawless. Some other critics have said that her character can sometimes be quite unlikeable but I beg to differ as I was always on Nadine's side and routing for her all the way. Steinfeld honestly is brilliant in this film, she holds it and really is the heart of this story. Despite this being Steinfeld's show, she is supported by a brilliant cast. Woody Harrelson plays a very similar role to which he did in The Hunger Games films - he was good then and he is just as good now. I was also impressed by Blake Jenner who is a rising star - this film is literal evidence for why his star is on the rise. Even though the performances are all excellent, I don't think they were enough for awards attention but don't be surprised if you hear Steinfeld's name thrown around as I definitely wouldn't be upset if she did get some nominations. 

Now and then, I come across a film that is essentially plotless and The Edge of Seventeen is one of those films - there is no clear narrative or plot points, the film is literally about life as a 17 year old. Usually, this would be a flaw as films can get quite dull without a clear narrative or end goal but I actually found it quite refreshing for a film in this genre - it is too often that at the end of the road is a prom or some other special dance so it was nice that The Edge of Seventeen was not building up to a generic climax. The Edge of Seventeen is quite an unconventional teen drama - it is just as good as what I class as classics Pitch Perfect and Mean Girls but it is also so different which is what makes it special. I applaud Craig for making a film for her directorial debut that breaks so many boundaries. 

My favourite thing about The Edge of Seventeen is that it is just so likeable - the film is funny, touching and extremely realistic. Nothing is sugar-coated in the film and the plot isn't linear. You will empathise with Nadine as she is put through so many trials and tribulations which many of us can relate to. I also liked the use of music in the film and the soundtrack in general - it was very well selected. 

The Edge of Seventeen truly is an excellent film and I really enjoyed watching it. Even though the film doesn't do anything different in terms of technical aspects, it was refreshing to find such a realistic and unconventional teen drama that is still as likeable and enjoyable as the rest. Hailee Steinfeld is excellent and proves how multi-talented she is - is there anything this girl can't do? Jenner and Harrelson both support her well. Overall, this is a really likeable film that will make you laugh, make you cry, make you cringe and will just really impress you and I really recommend you watch it.


76
/100

What did you think of THE EDGE OF SEVENTEEN? What is your favourite teen movie? - COMMENT BELOW


See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments