UK Box Office July 24-26: Joy for INSIDE OUT, Solid debut for SOUTHPAW10:56 AM
Further down the chart, there were no other new entries but Empire Strikes Back returned to the top 10.
Here is the top 10:
1. Inside Out - $11.49 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $11.49 million
2. Ant-Man - $3.93 million - Week 2 - Down 37% - Total: $14.99 million
3. Minions - $3.53 million - Week 5 - Down 16% - Total: $57.78 million
4. Southpaw - $2.59 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $2.59 million
5. Jurassic World - $1.56 million - Week 7 - Down 11% - Total: $95.81 million
6. Ted 2 - $1.14 million - Week 3 - Down 56% - Total: $13.64 million
7. Terminator Genisys - $764,641 - Week 4 - Down 64% - Total: $16.13 million
8. Bajrangi Bhaijaan - $635,175 - Week 2 - Down 46% - Total: $2.67 million
9. Empire Strikes Back - $475,089 - Week 8 - RE-ENTRY - Total: $4.69 million
10. Magic Mike XXL - $430,233 - Week 4 - Down 47% - Total: $9.87 million
The top 10 made $26.55 million this week. This is up 25.69% on last weekend and is up 61.73% on the same time frame last year.
Ant-Man didn't reign for long as another animation look the number 1 spot this week - Inside Out - the acclaimed Pixar animation took in $11.49 million this weekend which is way ahead of previous Pixar entries Brave and Monsters University. This is also above mega hit Frozen and the recent Big Hero 6 - Inside Out opened on par with Maleficent. I'd expect Inside Out to have very strong legs with its rave reviews (98% on Rotten Tomatoes) and no animation competition for the rest of the summer. Inside Out could hit $40 million.
Even though it didn't reign for a second week, AntMan managed to slip just 37% which is remarkable for a popcorn flick. AntMan took in $3.93 million this weekend which is very good. The superhero pic has now taken in $14.99 million in the UK - $20 million is a lock, it will be interesting to see how far AntMan can go from there - with strong reviews, $35 million could be likely.
Surprisingly, Minions dropped just 16% this weekend despite another major animation opening. Minions took in $3.53 million this weekend and will likely swap places with AntMan next weekend. Minions has now grossed $57.78 million in the UK. It has already passed Despicable Me and will probably close with around $65-70 million, just below Despicable Me 2.
Opening with a surprisingly strong debut this weekend was Southpaw - the film took in $2.59 million which is very strong for a film that has been marketed as quite an independent film with awards appeal. Southpaw has had middling reviews (sitting just below 60% on Rotten Tomatoes) but very strong word of mouth - 8.0/10 on IMDB. SouthPaw will probably close with around $7-8 million but truly has a shot at breaking $10 million.
Staying in the top 5 for its 7th week, Jurassic World dropped just 11% this week which is once again, fantastic! The film took in $1.56 million which brings its new UK total to $95.81 million. I truly believe that Jurassic World will break $100 million before the end of its run - this is truly a monster of a movie!
6. Ted 2 - A mother terrible hold for this comedy flick - goodbye Ted 3! . Prediction : $15.8-17 million
7. Terminator Genisys - The steepest drop on the chart, Terminator may breakeven - will the sequel go ahead? . Prediction: $17-19 million
8. Bajrangi Bhaijaan - Surprisingly staying in the chart for a second week, the foreign movie clearly has a strong appeal . Prediction: $3-4 million.
9. Empire Strikes Back - Returning to the top 10, the Empire is back! . Prediction: $5-6 million
10. Magic Mike XXL - Another reasonably solid hold for the sequel. . Prediction: $10.3-11.2 million.
Look out for MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 5 and HOT PURSUIT next weekend!
See You Soon!