Krampus (2015) - Trailer Review3:00 PM
"A boy who has a bad Christmas ends up summoning a Christmas demon to his family home". Is there a reason why studios rarely make Christmas themed horror movies? Krampus hits cinemas 4th December.
What I Like:
- Even though it is extremely difficult for any horror movie to be unique, I think it is a breath of fresh air for the genre - move over Halloween, hello Christmas!
- There seems to be some comedic elements that most Christmas movies include - builds it up to be a stereotypical Christmas movie and then BAM, its a horror movie
- The Christmas music helps to add to the eery atmosphere due to the juxtaposition
- The slogans 'he sees you when you're sleeping' etc' work very well for this type of film when taken out of their Christmas song context
- The film does seem to be very creepy
- From this trailer, it does seem like this film will be able to compete with this years horror movies - it doesn't feel out of place despite its theming
- The performances actually look pretty strong which is unusual for a horror film
- The film may help parents to convince their children to be good - they don't want to be visited by Krampus do they?
What I Don't Like:
- The way Krampus is summoned seems a little hard to believe - a ripped letter
- None of the attempted jump scares actually worked for me so it worries me that the whole film could be like this
- One of the jump scares seems to just be a bat which is a classic example of a misused/unneeded jump scare
- The scare factor seems to be a scary version of a reindeer and little trolls - not that scary if you ask me - seems a little tame for a horror movie
- The actual name and logo for the film is a little tacky and doesn't really suggest 'horror movie'
Overall, I think this is a pretty mediocre trailer. Yes, I love the concept and how we are finally getting another Christmas horror movie but I feel that this is quite a tame one. Ok, that is probably the best move financially as Christmas is a family time but with horror movies, you've either got to go hard or go home. I don't really feel that this is going to be that scary - maybe similar to 'The Hole'? However, this will definitely stand out in the over saturated horror movie market.
So that was the first official post of my new segment - trailer reviews! I have done many trailer reviews before but now they have a home! I will review all of the latest trailers from now on. Subscribe so you don't miss them!