Alice Through The Looking Glass (2016) - Trailer #1 Review

11:16 AM

Alice Through the Looking Glass is directed by James Bobin (Muppets Most Wanted, The Muppets) and sees the return of existing cast members Mia Wasikowska (Crimson Peak, Stoker), Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean, Edward Scissorhands), Helena Bonham Carter (Cinderella, Harry Potter) and Anne Hathaway (The Intern, Les Miserables). Through The Looking Glass also adds Sacha Baron Cohen (Bruno, Borat) to the mix. "Alice returns to the whimsical world of Wonderland and travels back in time to save the Mad Hatter". The first Alice in Wonderland joined the billion dollar club but was received with a mixed response from from critics and audiences. Can Through the Looking Glass be another mega-success for the House of Mouse? The first trailer for the film was  just released so lets see how Alice Through the Looking Glass seems to compare not only to the first film but Disney's Live Action Universe...

0:08 - I really like the way the Disney logo has been done here - I love how it rotates to the sound of a ticking clock - similar to Warner Bros in Suicide Squad. I think Disney can get away with doing this though without 'copying' as Warner Bros was more of a wind up tick rather than a clock and time is very relevant to this films plot
0:18 - Move over white rabbit, it's the blue butterfly that is taking Alice away this time! 
0:21 - The Mad Hatter looks so sad here - this is obviously why he needs saving. Don't you like once again that we are having a female heroine save a man rather than the usual man saves a woman stereotype?
0:26 - I really like this visual - I think it is very well done and looks pretty real
0:30 - Alice in falling again! 
0:34 - Tim Burton is only producing this time so it will be interesting to see how this film differs. Nevertheless, Through the Looking Glass' trailer is very good so far.
0:40 - I'm not actually a fan of this shot - I think it looks poorly done
0:42 - Are we in Peter Pan now? ;) 
0:44 - I don't really know how this shot will fit into a scene but I like how the music played when the door was being opened. I also loved the Red Queen in the first movie so it's great to see her back here. 
0:47 - 'No time for tea' - least it's not de ja vu! Some favourites from the first movie return here. 
0:49 - This reminds me of Crimson Peak when Wasikowska leaves the house in snow too!
0:51 - Hathaway returns! Her character doesn't look as happy this time around so something must be up!
1:03 - Make way for Sacha Baron Cohen! I think it is a really interesting concept that time can be a character - it will be interesting to see how the film pulls it off as the concept of time being a personified character is a little confusing
1:04 - I do like how there are clockworks and mechanics occurring inside Time which shows he isn't a human
1:09 - this is a really nice shot and one of the best in the trailer
1:12 - I like the line here 'your time is up' but what I don't like is the visual effects - it looks a lot like a green screen and doesn't look too real. Baron Cohen also looks a lot like Hugh Jackman in Pan which doesn't bring back good memories. 
1:15 - the Mad Hatter has his first lines! Johnny Depp is an extremely good character actor and is made for roles like this and Jack Sparrow so he definitely shouldn't be a disappointment in this
1:17 - I really like this shot as well. For one, it is just very eye pleasing and it is the first appearance of tweedle dum and tweedle dee who were hilarious in the first movie
1:20 - the Jabberwocky is back!
1:23 - I really like this part of the trailer also - I think the special effects are done really well here - who else wouldn't want to see Alice play chess?
1:25 - Reminds me of Pan again
1:27 - The Red Queen has her first lines and is great - the way she says 'Hello Alice' is fantastic and the Mad Hatters reaction makes it even better
1:29 - I thought this was a really nice shot too 
1:30 - This definitely has to be at the end of the movie when there is some form of celebration like a coronation or a wedding but I really like the shot
1:38 - I really like how ALICE is the brand here - they've not done Alice in Wonderland 2, they are expecting people to recognise the brand from just ALICE and I think that does a lot of good things for women in film
1:41 - this whole moment when The Red Queen receives a gift from time is probably my favourite in the whole trailer - I think it is very funny. 

I really like this trailer and it gives me a lot of hope for the film - when the sequel was first announced I was a little wary even though I thoroughly enjoyed the first film, I just wondered where they could take it. However, after this trailer, even though the story isn't 100% clear (it's a teaser trailer so that's alright), I definitely want to be there on opening day. I like how the whole cast has returned which shows that they must all believe in this property - or because the first one joined the billion dollar club so they want to be involved in a big money maker? I am a little Wary over Time as a villain - I don't really know how they are going to personify Time without being too confusing for a family audience. Disney have this and The Jungle Book for their live action universe next year, I think 2016 will be a good one!

What do you think of this trailer? Will you be seeing it in cinemas? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments