The Intern (2015)

1:23 PM

Experience Never Gets Old
The Intern is directed by Nancy Meyers (The Holiday, The Parent Trap) and stars Robert De Niro (American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook) and Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables, The Princess Diaries). "70-year-old widower Ben Whittaker has discovered that retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. Seizing an opportunity to get back in the game, he becomes a senior intern at an online fashion site, founded and run by Jules Ostin". Experience may never get old but after a 6 year break, are audiences tired of Nancy Meyers?

The Intern is just what I was expecting, if not a little bit better. I haven't ever properly sat down and watched a Nancy Meyers film - they have been on in the background but I've just not paid attention because I don't find them captivating. However, The Intern is far from not being captivating - I think the word to describe it best is CHARMING. I actually got vibes of Friends with Benefits from this film and obviously, it is a serious nod to The Devil Wears Prada. If you are planning to go watch a film and don't know what to see - I would recommend that you consider this film!

So the film tells an old story with a new twist - the concept is basically the same as The Devil Wears Prada except Anne Hathaway has been promoted and an elderly member is the intern. I really liked the story - I was actually pleased it stayed within the business environment - sometimes films like these have characters that are businesspeople but tells a story outside of work - I really liked how The Intern stayed with in the office. I was actually fascinated with how Hathaway set up the company - it was nice to see an extremely successful female businesswoman portrayed in a film. I also liked how there was an elderly male character who didn't have sexist views - De Niro even calls himself a 'feminist' during the film which I found very refreshing. The Intern is also very likeable - however, it could do with maybe a 10 minute shorter running time as I kind of lost interest in the characters towards the end.

The film is very well acted by its two leads. I have to say, I haven't seen Robert De Niro play such a likeable character in a very long time - I found his character very likeable and he is one of the biggest reasons for why this film is charming. I also like how the films message teaches people that they should take care of their appearance - I think these are the types of traditional values that maybe should have stood the test of time. Anne Hathaway was also very good in the film and I think she was very believable in her role. The chemistry between Hathaway and De Niro was also very strong - I was a little worried with what direction the film would take their bond from the trailers but thankfully it was just a friend/father-daughter relationship.

The film wasn't a constant laugh out loud but it did have its moments - the most laughs came from...a child actor! JoJo Kushner is actually one of the better child actors I have seen in a while - she was very funny. As well as the laughs, the film was surprisingly very emotional. There is a scene in the film where the two leads have a true heart-to-heart which really tugs at the heart strings. One of the characters says something about being buried that really makes you think. I wasn't actually expecting to feel sad emotions during this film and I thought it was quite effective.

The Intern is a very charming film - it is held well by fantastic performances and a good twist on an already told story. The business may inspire some to start businesses as the lifestyle is portrayed quite fast paced and exciting - and it should inspire all to take more pride in their appearance. Even though the film isn't the funniest film of the year, it does have some emotional depth with a few good twists which makes The Intern worth a watch - I would hire it.

4 STARS
B

What did you think of THE INTERN? Is it 'The Devil Wears Prada' for the new generation? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments