UK Box Office May 15-17: PITCH PERFECT 2 Slaps MAD MAX12:50 PM
The only other new entry within the top 10 came from 'A Royal Night Out' - the film actually opened at 1 location last week but expanded nationwide with an underwhelming $467K which put it into 6th place.
Here is the top 10 (new entries are highlighted):
1. Pitch Perfect 2 - $7.76 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $7.76 million
2. Mad Max: Fury Road - $7.03 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $7.03 million
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron - $2.58 million - Week 4 - Down 53% - Total: $67.02 million
4. Spooks: The Greater Good - $827,270 - Week 2 - Down 48% - Total: $3.21 million
5. Far From the Madding Crowd - $620,737 - Week 3 - Down 52% - Total: $7.29 million
6. A Royal Night Out - $467,508 - Week 1 (in wide release) - Up 3,748% - Total: $488,509
7. Home - $390,904 - Week 9 - Down 38% - Total: $35.54 million
8. Unfriended - $388,088 - Week 3 - Down 63% - Total: $5.12 million
9. Furious 7 - $348,639 - Week 7 - Down 60% - Total: $59.13 million
10. The Age of Adaline - $299,945 - Week 2 - Down 66% - Total: $1.68 million
The top 10 made $20.7 million which is up 52% on last weekend and up 28% on this time last year.
Pitch Perfect 2 did aca-awesome business this weekend - the film took into $7.76 million which is extremely fantastic when you take into account that the first film opened in 5th with $1.5 million - this shows the power of DVD and on demand. Pitch Perfect 2 is the 3rd Universal picture so far this year to top the box office with fantastic numbers (previous being Fifty Shades of Grey & Furious 7). The film will definitely surpass it's predecessor's $10.2 million - probably by this time next week if it holds well! I predict that Pitch Perfect 2 will go on to close with around $20 million.
Also opening well this weekend was Mad Max: Fury Road - the film took in $7.03 million which is great. The film will likely have very strong legs due to the rave reviews. I could actually see this outgrossing Pitch Perfect 2 by the end of its run because of this - however, I believe that the competition will be close and this film will close with around $20 million too.
Dropping another 53% in its 4th week of release is Avengers: Age of Ultron. The film took in $2.58 million this weekend which brings its total to $67.02 million - it will definitely pass $70 million but it is unlikely to beat the first films $80 million - look for Age of Ultron to close with just below $75 million. Age of Ultron also joined the billion dollar club this week which puts it as the 8th biggest film of all time.
In 4th place this week is Spooks: The Greater Good - the film took in $827K this weekend which is down 53% on last weekend. The film has now taken in $3.21 million and will likely close with around $5 million.
In 5th place is Far From the Madding Crowd - the surprise hit dropped 52% this weekend and took in $620K which brings its total to $7.29 million. The film will likely close with around $9 million.
6 - A Royal Night Out - $467K - a disappointing opening for a film with such an impressive start at its one location last weekend. Prediction: $1 million
7. Home - $390K - another strong hold for the film in its 9th week of release. Prediction: $36.2 million.
8. Unfriended - $388K - the film couldn't avoid the steep drop in its third week of release. Prediction: $6 million.
9. Furious 7 - $348K - in its 7th week of release, the blockbuster took one of its steepest drops to date. Prediction: $60 million.
10. The Age of Adaline - $300K - an extremely steep drop in its second week of releasing, dropping around two thirds. Prediction: $1.9 million.
As you may remember from my last post, I made a list of predictions for this weeks list. Here are the results: 6/10
1. Pitch Perfect 2 - CORRECT
2. Mad Max: Fury Road - CORRECT
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron - CORRECT
4. A Royal Night Out - WRONG
5. Far From the Madding Crowd - CORRECT
6. Spooks: The Greater Good - WRONG
7. The Age of Adaline - WRONG
8. Unfriended - CORRECT
9. Furious 7 - CORRECT
10. Home - WRONG
Look out for TOMORROWLAND next weekend!
Next week predictions:
2. Pitch Perfect 2
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Far From the Madding Crowd
7. Spooks: The Greater Good
8. A Royal Night Out
10. Furious 7
What do you think next week's chart will look like? - COMMENT BELOW!
See You Soon!