UK Box Office May 22-24: TOMORROWLAND gets Pitch slapped by The Barden Bellas & Ran over by Mad Max12:36 PM
The only other entry within the top 10 came from 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' which performed extremely well in under 60 locations opening in 9th place.
Here is the top 10:
1. Pitch Perfect 2 - $4.10 million - Week 2 - Down 47% - Total: $14.98 million
2. Mad Max: Fury Road - $4.06 million - Week 2 - Down 42% - Total: $14.86 million
3. Tomorrowland - $2.28 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $2.28 million
4. Poltergeist - $2.25 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $2.25 million
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron - $1.64 million - Week 5 - Down 36% - Total: $68.98 million
6. Spooks: The Greater Good - $461,080 - Week 3 - Down 44% - Total: $4.15 million
7. Far From the Madding Crowd - $339,326 - Week 4 - Down 45% - Total: $8.22 million
8. Home - $317,682 - Week 10 - Down 19% - Total: $35.52 million
9. Tanu Weds Manu Returns - $269,265 - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $269,265
10. Two by Two - $198,962 - Week 4 - RE-ENTRY - Total: $2.36 million
The top 10 made $15.93 million this week which is down 23% on last weekend and is also down 41% on the same time frame last year - this is extremely disappointing as we did have a major release this weekend but the numbers ultimately disappointed.
Pitch Perfect 2 continued to do aca-magnificent business this weekend - dropping a normal 47%. This suggests that the film should have generally strong holds. The film took in $4.10 million this weekend which brings its new total to just below $15 million. I predict that the film will close north of $20 million.
Just $4,000 behind and finishing in second place is Mad Max: Fury Road. The film dropped a strong 42% and took in $4.06 million. This brings the films new total to $14.86 million. Fury Road should also close with north of $20 million and may end up closing with more than Pitch Perfect 2.
Opening in 3rd place is Tomorrowland. This is extremely disappointing and its $2.28 million is more on par with sci-fi flop Jupiter Ascending than the other Disney live action films Maleficent, Cinderella, Oz and Alice in Wonderland. However, Tomorrowland does have the benefit of the school holidays so could surpass $6 million quite easily - I expect Tomorrowland to close with $7.5-10 million.
Not far behind and debuting in 4th place with a strong $2.25 million is the remake of Poltergeist. This is very strong for a horror movie. Unfriended went on to close with north of $5 million with a $2 million opening. However, reviews aren't as strong for this one and I believe that it may not escape the traditional 60% drop for the horror movie. I believe that this will be the 'go-to' film for teens this holiday which may lead to the film closing with north of $5 million.
In its 5th week of release, Age of Ultron drops a strong 36%. The film took in $1.64 million which brings its new total to just below $70 million. The film will definitely not reach the firsts $80 million but will close with around $72 million.
6. Spooks: The Greater Good - A reasonably strong hold for a film that has basically no marketing outside of social media. Prediction: $5.5-6.5 million.
7. Far From the Madding Crowd - the surprise hit continues to drop steadily. Prediction: $9-9.5 million.
8. Home - in its 10th week of release, the film had the strongest hold on the board. Prediction: $36 million.
9. Tanu Weds Manu Returns - in just 59 locations, the film cracked the top 10 - what a good per theatre average! Prediction: $750K.
10. Two by Two - for some reason, the critically-panned animation returns to the top 10. Prediction: $2.5-2.8 million.
As you may remember from my last post, I made a list of predictions for this weeks list. Here are the results: 2/10
1. Tomorrowland - WRONG
2. Pitch Perfect 2 - WRONG
3. Mad Max: Fury Road - WRONG
4. Poltergeist - CORRECT
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron - CORRECT
6. Far From the Madding Crowd - WRONG
7. Spooks: The Greater Good - WRONG
8. A Royal Night Out - WRONG
9. Home - WRONG
10. Furious 7 - WRONG
Look out for SAN ANDREAS next weekend!
1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Pitch Perfect 2
3. San Andreas
5. Man Up
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
8. Danny Collins
9. Spooks: The Greater Good
10. Far From the Madding Crowd
What do you think next weeks chart will look like? - COMMENT BELOW
See You Soon!