The Imitation Game (2014)

1:36 PM

Let the Games Begin


Directed by Morten Tyldum (Headhunters) and stars Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) with Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Caribbean), The Imitation Game tells the true story of Alan Turing - During World War 2, the mathematician tries to crack the enigma code with help from other mathematicians. Another Oscar favourite...will The Imitation Game crack the code of the ceremony and take home the 8 awards it is nominated for? 

It really does have the potential! It seems that the theme with this years Oscar ceremony is true stories (American Sniper, The Theory of Everything) - The Imitation Game tells another that I was unaware of before the film. I think the story was very captivating and different. It wasn't boring like I feared it may be. However, it did drag towards the end but I feel the rest of the film was of such a good standard that the slow ending isn't much of an issue. I really liked the story and thought that the way Turing attempted to break the code was really clever. The Imitation Game isn't like your typical historical drama - it is tense, emotional and enticing. No wonder the screenplay has picked up an Oscar nod. 

I thought the film was edited really well. I liked how the film swapped into different time zones (childhood, the story and present). I can only tell that this was done effectively and well because I didn't get confused. William Goldenberg (the editor) did a really good job! The editing was blended really well and everything felt in place. 

Benedict Cumberbatch did a fantastic job at playing Alan Turing - to be honest, I am not too familiar with Cumberbatch's acting (other than Star Trek) so I really was impressed. Many have said that this film showed a really different side to him - this was really different to the character of Khan (Star Trek Into Darkness). Cumberbatch definitely has earned his Oscar nomination, however I do not think that he will win. Cumberbatch portrayed Turing in a really respectful way - he took the role really seriously. The scenes that stand out in my mind were the ones towards the end where he really broke down and became emotional - I really felt for his character. 

Keira Knightley also did a brilliant job. I think she is a fantastic actress! It was also nice to see a female character who breaks the general Hollywood stereotype - she was as intelligent as all of the men and didn't break down emotionally after losing her love. This was a really nice portrayal to see! 

Finally, I would like to talk about the score. Before watching, I was informed that the score was amazing and I should listen out for it. After watching, I can really say that it was brilliant! I thought the music suited every moment. It was that good that you could probably download it and listen to it in your everyday life. I am really routing for The Imitation Game to win BEST SCORE at this years Oscar ceremony. 

I have so much respect for Alan Turing - he did such a good thing and it is a shame that he was treated the way he was. Even though I wasn't aware of him before The Imitation Game - I am now. 

The Imitation Game may have dragged at times but it certainly wasn't boring as a whole. Cumberbatch and Knightley are great. The score is music to anybodies ears. The story is fascinatingly clever and portrays such a remarkable man. Don't cheat and skip it, watch The Imitation Game! -  you won't regret it. 

4 STARS



My Favourite Best Picture Nominees so far:
2. The Imitation Game

Did you play THE IMITATION GAME? What did you think? Who do you want to win Best Picture? (You can also vote in the poll on the right hand side of the page) - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi there!

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award.
    To find out more check out my post.
    http://kayteevivienne.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/liebster-award-nomination.html
    You really deserve it!

    -KVL xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live near Bletchley! We learnt about Alan Turing in school, so I'd love to see this movie!

    Bloggerella xxx

    ReplyDelete