The 10 Best Movies of 2014

11:23 AM

So 2014 has been and gone and we were provided with lots of good movies as well as many bad movies. In this post, I will be listing my 10 BEST 2014 films that I have seen. You may not agree with my list but that doesn't matter as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have already posted a WORST OF list, you can read that here: http://aselenatorsview.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-worst-films-of-2014.html

I also mentioned in the WORST OF blog post that I did not get to see all films released in 2014 which means that some films (Gone Girl, Wild etc) will not be on this list. For each film, I will include a profile of what other critics rated it (IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic) and a summary for why I liked the film.

10. Captain America - The Winter Soldier - I was not a big fan of the first film at all (I hated it), However, this has to be one of the biggest surprises of 2014 for me. I thought the plot was original, the battles were good and the acting was great! Marvel just keep getting better and better! I think this film was full of plot twists which meant that you didn't know what was going to come next. This is far superior to The Amazing Spiderman 2 which doesn't make this list. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 89%
IMDB: 7.8/10
Metacritic: 70/100
Average: 79/100
I'm sure the Marvel Universe is just going to keep getting bigger and better!



9. The Purge - Anarchy - Once again, I wasn't a huge fan of the first instalment of The Purge. However, I thought that everything that was done wrong in the previous film was done right in this one! I think there was a perfect amount of suspense and tension as well as action. The film went down the 'thriller' route this time (Rather than the 'horror' route) which worked a lot more for the plot. The acting wasn't anything special but it wasn't awful either. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 56%
IMDB: 6.5/10
Metacritic: 50/100
Average: 57/100
Even though a lot of critics disliked this film, I still believe it has earned its place on this list. 

8. 22 Jump Street - Another sequel to make the list! This instalment of Jump Street was funnier and better. Even though the plot was very similar to the first film, that made the film even funner as it was like seeing the same thing done again but on a much bigger scale. The chemistry between Tatum and Hill was as good as always. The other actors were also very humorous. I really do hope a 23 Jump Street happens. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 84%
IMDB: 7.2/10
Metacritic: 71/100
Average: 76/100
Note - This film gave me feels of Spring Breakers in some scenes. 

7. Guardians of the Galaxy - I was not looking forward to this film at all when I first saw the trailer. I thought it was going to be weird and of a very poor quality. HOWEVER, I do believe that this was the biggest surprise of 2014. Even though it is based around action, it is probably one of the funniest films of the year! The action scenes were great and so was the acting. My favourite character has to be Groot due to his dancing scene and the fact that he has such a limited vocabulary range. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 90%
IMDB: 8.2/10
Metacritic: 76/100
Average: 83/100
This film has proven that Marvel can do anything!

6. The Other Woman - This is probably my most controversial choice for this list. However, I found the film hilarious! I loved the chemistry between the leading actresses and thought that the plot was genius! This is the definition of a feel-good film. I came out of the cinema smiling and every time I watch it, I smile. Even though some may say that this film is silly, I believe that it is an amazing comedy film. I don't understand why so many critics dislike it. I loved this film. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 24%
IMDB: 6.0/10
Metacritic: 39/100
Average: 41/100
I know lots of people do not like this film but I do and I can't change that. 

5. Bad Neighbours (a.k.a Neighbors (US)) - This film was excellent! I thought it was hilarious and that both of the leading actors did a very good job. I thought the film had quite an interesting and unique plot as I don't believe there has been anything like it in the past. I also liked the use of audio in the film - one scene in particular stands out to me where Zac Efron is walking through a passage with loud music as well as strobe lighting - I thought that this was very effective. This film is definitely not 'bad'. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 73%
IMDB: 6.4/10
Metacritic: 68/100
Average: 68/100
One of the most memorable movies of the year. 

4. The Hunger Games - Mockingjay: Part 1 - I understand that many people were disappointed with this film as it is completely different to the first 2 films. However, that is what I really liked about it! I loved how the film went into lots of detail of how they are planning to take down the Capitol rather than just being really brief and carrying out the battle. My favourite scene was 'The Hanging Tree' - I thought that it was really clever and iconic. Another reason to like this film is that there is a lack of Josh Hutcherson (annoying actor). I also really liked how the film focused a lot on media and propaganda. Mockingjay: Part 1 is completely different to any film out there and Part 2 will be just as good - if not better.
Rotten Tomatoes: 65%
IMDB: 7.1/10
Metacritic: 64/100
Average: 67/100
Jennifer Lawrence proves once again how good an actress she is!

3. Divergent - I was not very familiar of this book series until I heard about the film. Divergent is action packed, tense and clever. Even though it has similarities to The Hunger Games, I thought that the concept was generally quite original. Woodley put on a good performance and the soundtrack helped create the mood and atmosphere for the film. I liked how the film didn't focus too much on romance which I thought may have ended up happening. The ending was also satisfying and makes the audience ready for the sequel. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 41%
IMDB: 6.9/10
Metacritic: 48/100
Average: 53/100
Hopefully Insurgent will win more critics over as I believe that Divergent is majorly underrated and under appreciated

2. The Fault In Our Stars - Due to me being a keen user of social networks, I heard a lot of buzz and hype about this film (before its release) via Twitter. I then decided to read the book and couldn't put it down - I finished it in one weekend which is a record for me. I then watched the film and couldn't be any happier with the way it was produced. Even though the concept and ending is quite sad, I truly believe that the majority of this film makes you happy and smile. The chemistry between Woodley and Elgort is charming. This film literally makes you smile, laugh, cry and feel basically every emotion. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 80%
IMDB: 8.0/10
Metacritic: 69/100
Average: 76/100
The future holds many John Green film adaptions - hopefully he won't turn into the new Nicholas Sparks. 

1. Maleficent - [You can read my full review of this film here: http://aselenatorsview.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/movie-review-maleficent-2013.html ]
Maleficent is mesmerising, marvellous, mellifluous, magical, mysterious and most importantly...MAGNIFICENT. This is by far my favourite film of 2014. I thought that Angelina Jolie successfully pulled a Johnny Depp type of transformation and was excellent! This will definitely go down as one of her most iconic performances! I thought that there was no actor who put on a bad performance in this film. Lets not forget the CGI which was candy for your eyes! The film looks, sounds and is brilliant! I couldn't possibly say anything bad about it. Outstanding. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 49% (72% - user rating)
IMDB: 7.1/10
Metacritic: 56/100
Average: 59/100
Don't let the mediocre reviews fool you - Maleficent is not to be missed!

Remember to follow me on Twitter: @mrdselenator
I hope you like this post, remember to comment below what your favourite films of 2014 were!
I will have more reviews coming up over the next few weeks!
Please share and follow my blog!

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments