Aloha (2015)

6:06 PM

Sometimes you have to say Goodbye before you can say Hello
Directed and written by Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous, We Bought a Zoo), Aloha stars Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook, American Sniper), Rachel McAdams (Midnight in Paris, Southpaw) and Emma Stone (The Help, Easy A). "A celebrated military contractor returns to the site of his greatest career triumphs and reconnects with a long-ago love while unexpectedly falling for the hard-charging Air Force watch-dog assigned to him". So after watching this film, will I be saying Hello or Goodbye to Aloha?
Goodbye Aloha - this film is definitely one of the worst of the year and I am so pleased that I didn't have to pay to see it. I watched Aloha on my plane back from Florida as it was part of the inflight entertainment - my only other options were Pitch Perfect 2 (watched it on the plane again), Mad Max: Fury Road (seen it), Poltergeist (seen it), Sponge Out of Water (seen it) or Life of Pi (seen it) so I decided to watch Aloha....I should have just re-watched Fury Road. Aloha is a dull film that manages to make its great cast look bad - how can a film do that?

So is Aloha watchable? No. I have to be honest, around half way through this film, I started browsing my phone as I became distracted - it was very boring. However, what I will say is that it wasn't too long and ended in the right place which is good but it wasn't an enjoyable journey getting to the finish line. I hope to never re-watch Aloha and I recommend that when it does come out in UK cinemas, do not go and see it. 

So surely a film starring Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams should have very good performances? Not really. I thought Bradley Cooper was good but he didn't really get a chance to shine and was definitely underused - mostly due to a poor script. I thought Emma Stone tried too hard and was definitely miscast - I am usually a big fan of Stone but this is probably the first time I haven't liked her performance in a film. I found Stone's character annoying and extremely offensive. Now, who casts a white American as a part Asian character? This is terrible - why couldn't have Crowe attempted to find an up and coming actress who actually is part Asian rather than going for Stone who he believes will draw audiences. Also, why would Stone even sign on after reading the script?-definitely only in it for the paycheque! Finally, Rachel McAdams also has quite a rocky performance and is definitely underused - I thought she was quite rocky in Southpaw too which suggests maybe she just isn't that great? However, what I will say is that McAdams has diversity as an actress as she is unrecognisable from her role in Southpaw. 

So is Aloha likeable? No. Aloha is extremely dislikable due to how offensive it is which I just explained. The film is also extremely dull and is literally a waste of time. Ok, Aloha does fit the romantic genre as its very cliche and predictable but it definitely doesn't fit the comedy genre as it isn't funny at all - I didn't laugh once. 

The most Aloha has going for it is that it includes some really beautiful and artistic shots - the ending scene is very nice and well done. If only the rest of the movie was up to this standard. The film doesn't really have any ugly moments in terms of cinematography and look but the story and everything else just lets it down. Aloha really does a good job at making Hawaii look attractive - its basically an extended holiday advert. 

And finally, the story for Aloha is so predictable but so dull at the same time. The tag line for the film is 'sometimes you have to say goodbye before you can say hello' - now, I don't even have to warn you for spoilers because that tagline literally gives away the plot of the film - I won't say anymore. The film also tries to be serious at times which I just took as a joke as I didn't really understand it at all - they basically just wanted to get in some cool shots of rockets. The dialogue is cheesy and there is an awful scene that makes it out that two men can communicate by just looking at each other - there are subtitles for this scene and everything - this scene was extremely terrible. Aloha. 

Aloha is in competition with Serena for being the dullest film of the year and they both have one common factor - Bradley Cooper. However, I don't believe Cooper is the problem as he and the cinematography are the best parts of the film. Stone's character is offensive and her acting is too much. McAdams fails to shine also. ALOHA (meaning goodbye). 

1.5 STARS
D

What did you think of ALOHA? Did you have similar problems with it? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments