Pixels (2015)

2:58 PM

Game On.
Pixels is directed by Chris Columbus (Harry Potter, Home Alone) and stars Adam Sandler (Grown Ups, Hotel Transylvania), Kevin James (Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Zookeeper), Michelle Monaghan (Source Code, Gone Baby Gone), Josh Gad (Frozen, The Wedding Ringer), Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones, Ice Age) and Ashley Benson (Pretty Little Liars, Spring Breakers). "When aliens misinterpret video feeds of classic arcade games as a declaration of war, they attack the Earth in the form of the video games". So will Pixels be up there with Wreck-it Ralph or down there with all of Adam Sandler's worst movies like Jack and Jill and Grown Ups?

So, I have to admit Pixels is no where near as bad as I thought it would be but it's still a horrible movie. I think the main problem is that the whole team behind it are the completely wrong team to be dealing with such an interesting and intriguing idea. There are also many character decisions that I didn't agree with - the film was not so kind to females. Pixels will probably please younger viewers but anyone above the age of 12 may see straight through it and understand how trashy it is. 

The biggest thing that Pixels has going for it is that it is generally visually appealing. I thought the visual effects were up to the standard that they should be for this kind of movie - a production value was actually felt. My favourite scene was when Adam Sandler reversed his Mini Ghost and the Pacman chased him - I thought this was done really well and was actually pretty cool to watch. I also have to say that the film was funny at times - I don't know whether that was because it was 'so bad its funny' or whether it was genuinely funny. That is where the goodness stops as besides having glimmers of good moments, Pixels is generally not a good time. 

So the story for Pixels sounds pretty good right? Yes, I do agree but the way it was executed here was very poor. I didn't feel any threat to the World and I don't think the characters did either - there was a lack of an emotional level which would have probably boosted the film a lot. I also don't think the team behind this film understood the great idea that they had their hands on - they executed it so poorly and lazily that it went from a potential fun popcorn flick to a lazy run of the mill Adam Sandler movie. Sandler should stick to rom-com format if he is going to waste good ideas. 

I thought that acting was very poor as well. From watching a lot of his films, I don't actually think Adam Sandler even acts - I feel like he just plays himself or the same character in every single movie. He didn't seem intrigued or excited that video games were coming to life - he just seemed to be like 'oh, ok'. Also, I thought the worst performance in this film was from Kevin James who I did not believe as the president at all - when they first mentioned it, I thought they were joking but he actually was supposed to be the president!? Stupid. Peter Dinklage also wasn't that fantastic and neither was Michelle Monaghan. Josh Gad was extremely annoying and gave me feels of Kevin Hart in Ride Along as he literally just screamed the entire movie - however, because he is the voice of Olaf, it wasn't as annoying as Hart. 

Now, the way this film treats females is awful. Firstly, as an insult to the soldiers, Josh Gad's character calls them female maggots - as if maggots wasn't enough of an insult, he had to make them female to connote weakness which is stupid. However, the tip of the ice berg was when Ashley Benson's character became a trophy - literally, do these guys not know the big theory of women just being objects and trophies for men? Do they not realise how offensive that has become to both male and female audiences? Stupid. 

Pixels is a visually stunning wannabe popcorn flick - emphasise wannabe because despite the visual effects, glimmers of goodness and the occasional humorous moment, Pixels is just another Adam Sandler movie - it has bad performances, treats females badly and makes the audience feel stupid. 

I still have faith in Hotel Transylvania 2. 

2 STARS
D+

What did you think of PIXELS? What is your favourite or should I say least favourite Adam Sandler movie? - COMMENT BELOW


See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments