UK Box Office June 5-7: SPY Completes Mission & Takes First Place, INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 3 Scares Audiences6:23 AM
The only other movie to open within the top 10 was Dil Dhadakne Do - the limited release took in $325K.
Here is the top 10:
1. Spy - $3.91 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $3.91 million
2. San Andreas - $2.74 million - Week 2 - Down 61% - Total: $12.75 million
3. Insidious: Chapter 3 - $2.20 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $2.20 million
4. Mad Max: Fury Road - $1.23 million - Week 4 - Down 54% - Total: $23.82 million
5. Pitch Perfect 2 - $1.15 million - Week 4 - Down 60% - Total: $24.61 million
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron - $522,208 - Week 7 - Down 61% - Total: $73.14 million
7. Tomorrowland - $475,491 - Week 3 - Down 70% - Total: $7.27 million
8. Dil Dhadakne Do - $325,165 - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $325,165
9. Man Up - $215,887 - Week 2 - Down 73% - Total: $1.56 million
10. Poltergeist - $201,802 - Week 3 - Down 82% - Total: $5.92 million
The top 10 made $12.98 million this weekend which is down 31% on last week but is also down 36.7% on the same time frame last year which saw an $8 million opening from 22 Jump Street.
Opening in first place is Spy. The movie took in $3.91 million - I was actually expecting an opening around $5 million for this film thanks to its 95% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and strong word-of-mouth. However, this opening isn't a disaster. It is above the last McCarthy/Feig team up: The Heat's opening which opened to around $3.8 million. However, it is also below Bridesmaids' $5 million+ opening. The Heat went on to make $11 million in the UK and Bridesmaids made $37 million - with a similar opening to The Heat but similar reviews to Bridesmaids, I predict that Spy could go on to make around $20 million. Another silver lining for Spy is that it doesn't have any major comedic competition (we have omitted Entourage after its terrible US debut) for the next 3 weekends.
Dropping a what seems steep 61% in its second weekend is San Andreas - however, pay attention to the rest of the chart as in comparison, this is a light drop. San Andreas was likely to be front-loaded as it has weak reviews and middling word of mouth. The film has now made $12.75 million and should go on to make $18-20 million. It is important to note that San Andreas has surpassed Dwayne Johnson's last movie Hercules' $9 million.
Opening in 3rd is Insidious: Chapter 3. The film opened with $2.2 million which is the lowest opening for the franchise to date. Horror movies have generally survived the 60% second week drop in the UK this year so if Insidious follows that pattern, it may close with around $6-8 million. Chapter 3 also has reasonably strong reviews for a horror movie (around 60% approval on Rotten Tomatoes) which may work in its favour.
In 4th place is Mad Max: Fury Road - the critically acclaimed action film finally overtook Pitch Perfect 2. The film took in $1.2 million this weekend which is down 54% - this is one of the strongest holds on the chart this week. Fury Road has earned $23.8 million in the UK so far and could go on to earn around $30 million if it can hold well against Jurassic World next weekend (not looking likely).
In 5th place is Pitch Perfect 2 which drops 60% in its 4th weekend - the movies steepest drop to date. The film took in $1.15 million this weekend which brings its new total to $24.6 million. The opening of Spy clearly hurt this movie but it should be ok for the next 3 weeks and could go on to make $30 million in the UK.
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron - now the oldest film in the top 10 (7 weeks), Age of Ultron is about to take its final bow and let another blockbuster on to the scene - Jurassic World. Prediction: $75-77.2 million.
7. Tomorrowland - Forget the strong holds, Tomorrowland mimicked Chappie's 70% 3rd week drop. Prediction: $8.2-10 million.
8. Dil Dhadakne Do - the Indian comedy cracked the top 10 but couldn't compete with America's finest. Prediction: $0.7-1.1 million.
9. Man Up - Ouch! Dropping 73% in its second weekend - this movie needs to Man Up! Prediction: $1.8-2.2 million.
10. Poltergeist - the steepest drop on the chart comes from....a horror movie! Surprise! (82%). Prediction: $6.2-6.9 million.
As you may remember from my last post, I made a list of my predictions for this weeks list. Here are the results: 3/10
1. Spy - CORRECT
2. San Andreas - CORRECT
3. Insidious: Chapter 3 - CORRECT
4. Pitch Perfect 2 - WRONG
5. Mad Max: Fury Road - WRONG
6. Tomorrowland - WRONG
7. Avengers: Age of Ultron - WRONG
8. Man Up - WRONG
9. Poltergeist - WRONG
10. Home - WRONG
Look out for JURASSIC WORLD next weekend!
Next week's predictions:
1. Jurassic World
3. San Andreas
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. Insidious: Chapter 3
6. Pitch Perfect 2
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Man Up
What do you think next weeks chart will look like? - COMMENT BELOW!