UK Box Office June 12-14: It's a JURASSIC WORLD9:25 AM
Elsewhere on the chart, London Road debuted at number 8 with around $330K. No other movies tried to open against the monstrous Jurassic World.
Here is the top 10:
1. Jurassic World - $30.20 million - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $30.20 million
2. Spy - $2.42 million - Week 2 - Down 38% - Total: $8.66 million
3. San Andreas - $1.32 million - Week 3 - Down 52% - Total: $15.48 million
4. Insidious: Chapter 3 - $1.08 million - Week 2 - Down 51% - Total: $4.43 million
5. Pitch Perfect 2 - $641,909 - Week 5 - Down 44% - Total: $26.22 million
6. Mad Max: Fury Road - $620,573 - Week 5 - Down 50% - Total: $25.73 million
7. Empire Strikes Back (Secret Cinema) - $408,188 - Week 2 - Down 14% - Total: $1.04 million
8. London Road - $337,520 - Week 1 - NEW - Total: $337,520
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron - $253,546 - Week 8 - Down 51% - Total: $75.04 million
10. Tomorrowland - $190,179 - Week 4 - Down 60% - Total: $7.76 million
The top 10 made $37.47 million with around 81% of that being just from Jurassic World. This is up 188.7% on last weekend and is also up 220.4% on the same time frame last year which had no notable big releases.
Opening in first place is Jurassic World with a truly outstanding $30.2 million - this is the highest movie opening in the UK this year. However, not only that but Jurassic World also broke the record in America for being the highest opening ever and also broke the worldwide record for the highest opening. In the UK, the movie's opening ranks within the top 10 of the highest opening of all time. Jurassic World massively over performed all around the World and is almost definitely going to join the Billion Dollar club. The question is, will this be massively front-loaded or will it have legs? With strong word of mouth (A on CinemaScore) and mostly positive reviews (70% on Rotten Tomatoes) - the future for the movie looks promising. Age of Ultron has currently made around $75 million and I predict that this film will close around this point if not nearer to $80 million.
With one of the strongest holds on the board, Spy drops just 38% to number 2. The movie took in $2.42 million this weekend which brings its new total to $8.66 million . This is a stronger hold to both Tammy and The Heat. Spy looks set to top the UK total for The Heat (around $11 million) and may go on to close with around $14.6-17 million.
Dropping another 52% is San Andreas. The disaster flick is holding the best but its not been a disastrous run either. The movie took in $1.32 million this weekend which brings its new total to $15.48 million - just under half of that was the movie's opening weekend - FRONT LOADED! San Andreas is probably about half way through its run so expect it to finish with or around $20 million.
ANOTHER horror film survives the 60% second week drop - maybe this curse has been lifted? Insidious: Chapter 3 took in $1.08 million which meant that it dropped by 51%. The movie's new total is $4.43 million and I expect it to go on to close with around $6.5-8 million.
Sticking at number 5 this weekend is Pitch Perfect 2. The movie dropped 44% (relatively strong) this weekend and took in $640K - this brings the films new total to $26.2 million. The movie still has another two weeks until any major comedic competition is released so it still has a shot at reaching $30 million.
6. Mad Max: Fury Road - the critically acclaimed action flick is starting to have steeper drops, could it be the end of the road for Max? Prediction: $28-30 million.
7. Empire Strikes Back (Secret Cinema) - Was in the chart last week but didn't get the details till after the post was published. The Empire Strike Back - Literally with these strong holds! Prediction: $1.5-2 million.
8. London Road - Another Tom Hardy flop? It's nice to see an independent film crack the top 10 though! Prediction: $0.8-1.3 million.
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron - Spending its 8th week on the chart, the Age of Ultron is coming to an end. Prediction: $76.5-77.5 million.
10. Tomorrowland - Talk about a disastrous performance, this is one of Disney's biggest flops! Prediction: $8.1-8.5 million.
As you may remember from my last post, I made a list of my predictions for this week's list. Here are the results: 4/10
1. Jurassic World - CORRECT
2. Spy - CORRECT
3. San Andreas - CORRECT
4. Mad Max: Fury Road - WRONG
5. Insidious: Chapter 3 - WRONG
6. Pitch Perfect 2 - WRONG
7. Tomorrowland - WRONG
8. Freaks - WRONG
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron - CORRECT
10. Man Up - WRONG
Look out for THE LONGEST RIDE Next Weekend!
Predictions for next weekend:
1. Jurassic World
4. The Longest Ride
5. San Andreas
6. Pitch Perfect 2
7. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Insidious: Chapter 3
9. Empire Strikes Back
10. Avengers: Age of Ultron
What do you think next week's chart will look like? - COMMENT BELOW
See You Soon!